Pat Flanagan was a native Floridian, born in Lakeland, in March 1894 and christened Herman C. Flanagan. Pat graduated from Georgia Tech with a degree in Mechanical Engineering in 1916, and served in the Navy during the first World War as a chief machinist's mate.
Pat was associated with Allis-Chalmers from 1916 to 1939 where he served as Florida district manager from 1920 to 1939. In 1940 he started his own business as a manufacturer's representative, for among others, Yoemans Brothers, and in 1956 he incorporated as Pat Flanagan, Inc. In 1963 the corporate name was changed to "Flanagan-Metcalf, Inc." Flanagan-Metcalf later became the Municipal Division of Hudson Pumps.
Pat was an early member of the Florida Engineering Society, the Florida pollution Control Association and the Florida Water & Pollution Control Association. In recognition for his many years of service, the Pat Flanagan Award is given annually by the State Association to an Associate Member. The award was established in 1964 and is based on the Associate Member's assistance to operators, and their contribution to the Operators Association. Pat donated the "Pat Flanagan Cup" awarded. Pat died in 1972.